Tashkent Medical Academy
MBBS/MD at Tashkent Medical Academy
About Bhukhara State Medical Institute
Tashkent State Medical Institute
In 1931, the medical faculty was renamed into a medical institute. At the time, GP Fedorov, the dean of the medical faculty was named the first director of the institute. However, by the end of the year, HU Umarov was appointed as the new director.
By 1932, the institute had 1099 students and 177 teachers (25 professors, 26 associate, and 104 assistant).
From 1932 to 1936, B. Sattarov was appointed the director of the institute.
In 1935, the Tashkent Medical Institute was known as the Central Asian Medical Institute.
By 1937, the institute grew to 1,400 students.
In 1938, MU Mirsagatov was appointed as the new director of the Institute. During this period, a number of new clinics were financed to include: experimental construction, infectious diseases, oncology, prosthetics, and orthopedics.
In 1940, BI. Berliner was appointed director of the institute followed by RI. Pulatov in 1941.
During the Second World War (1941-1945), more than 10 evacuation hospitals opened up at the institute. A number of faculty professors including; DA Vvedensky, LD Vasilenko, AM Geller, BA Stekolnikov, and others joined the frontlines of the war.
In 1944, Y.K. Muminov was appointed director of the institute. By this time, Tashkent Medical Institute had trained 2,122 physicians and out of them 1,630 were sent to the frontlines of the Second World War. Among them were MA. Ashrapova, M. Muharramov, SAFayziev, NK. Ahmedov, M. Akmalov, U. Umarov, VSKarukhina, LIVaskovskaya, L.E. Stutragatskaya, SA Dopimov, FF Amirov, ND. Makhsumov, NA. Kanbulin, and others.
In honorable memory of those faculty at Tashkent State Medical Institute that perished during the war: AA Airapetov, RL Aminov, AY Gul’torov, GD Mukhanov, VI Majitov, RS Oripov, N.G. Rashchenko, Z.S. Rzhevsky, U.Z. Umarova, and U. Khikmatkhzhaev.
Following the war, in 1945, Z. Zokhidov was appointed new director of the institute. During this period, a six-year curriculum with refined educational programs was created. The institute was also better equipped with new specialized medical technology.
By 1946, the institute had totaled 2,752 students with classes conducted in both the Uzbek and Russian language.
In 1947, Y. Kh. Turakulov was appointed director of the institute. At the time, major developments in scientific research were conducted in the field of targeted research.
Yu. Lulomov (1950-1965) was appointed director of Tashkent State Medical Institute.
By 1953, the number of students increased to 3,158.
In 1954, the department of dentistry was established.
By mid-1960s, the institute had 57 doctors, 18 honored scientists, 13 doctors of science, and 2 corresponding members. The Academy of Sciences of the Republic of Uzbekistan (AA Askarov, NI Ismoilov) and 2 in the former Soviet Union the full members of the Academy of Sciences (ZI Umidov, EI Atakhanov), 57 professors, 22 of them Uzbeks.
Since 1962, students from Asia, Africa and Latin America were welcomed to study at the Institute.
In 1960-1967, the evening department of the medical faculty was opened. In 1961, the institute had 4,000 students, of whom 2,395 were indigenous women.
In September 1965, the academician K.A. Zufarov was appointed director of the Institute.
In 1971, in connection to the appointment of K. A. Zufarov as Director of the Central Asian Medical Research Institute, Academician U.A. Aripov was appointed new director and in position until 1984.
In 1972, more than 10 thousand students were engaged in the 2nd medical, pediatric, sanitary-hygienic, and dental faculties and 1,500 enrolled for 1 course.
In 1972, students of the pediatric faculty of Tashkent State Medical Institute moved to the Central Asian Institute of Pediatrics, now the Tashkent Pediatric Medical Institute.
In 1961, in Tashkent State Medical Institute there were 22 students from foreign countries, in 1980 their number exceeded 170.
By the end of 1980, the institute had 1,042 faculty members, including 6 academicians, 24 Uzbek doctors, 90 doctors of medical sciences and professors, 207 candidates of medical sciences, associate professors, and students.
During this period, the Institute improved the educational, methodological, scientific, state and international relations. The Institute established cooperation with leading medical institutions in Hungary, Germany, Poland and Russia.
In 1984, O.S. Mahmudov was appointed director of the Institute.
In 1987, Professor Nikolai Shomirzayev was appointed director. During this time, students began to enter leading medical institutes in Russia and Ukraine.
First and Second Tashkent State Medical Institute
In 1990, the Cabinet of Ministers of the Republic of Uzbekistan established two medical institutes on the basis of the old and new buildings of Tashmi in Tashkent: the first Tashkent State Medical Institute and the second Tashkent State Medical Institute. At the first institute were faculties of medical and dentistry and at the second institute were faculties of medical and sanitary-hygienic.
TA Daminov was appointed director of the first institute and Kh. Ya. Karimov was appointed director of the second institute.
Office and training center
In March 1992, the first branch of the Tashkent State Medical Institute in the city of Urgench was established. As well, in the city of Fergana, at Fergana State University, a Sanitary and Hygienic Faculty was created. Later this center became a branch of the Second Tashkent State Medical Institute. In 1998, the faculty expanded to become a center. Both centers began training general practitioners in 1998. In 2000, a Master’s program was created for the training of highly qualified scientific and pedagogical staff and medical specialists
Tashkent Medical Academy
Tashkent Medical Academy was founded on the basis of abolished 1st and 2nd Tashkent State Medical Institutes through the Decree of the President of the Republic of Uzbekistan I.A.Karimov N-3629 as of 19 July 2005.
Main tasks of the Academy:
- ensuring preparation of highly qualified medical personnel for quality improvement of health care being provided to population and participation in improvement of the structure of healthcare system;
- coordination and methodological guidance of higher medical education facilities as the leading educational facility in the country on education, postgraduate education of medical personnel, as well as performing research works in health care and public health, shaping healthy life styles;
- Identification of perspective directions for education of medical personnel, shaping preventive direction in the work of physicians taking into consideration ecological changes in the environment;
- Through the Decision of the State Testing Center at the Cabinet of Ministers of the Republic of Uzbekistan the Tashkent Medical Academy is given the status “Higher Education Facility” (Certificate №8 as of 31st of March, 2008)
Human Resource Potential:
Faculty – 626:
- Academicians 3,
- Professors – 97,
- Docents – 183
- Assistant lecturers – 357
- Doctoral student – 33
- Aspirant-independent – 120.
- Doctors of Sciences (Sc.D.) – 124
- Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) – 217
Recognition of Tashkent Medical Academy:
Tashkent Medical Academy is recognized by:
- WHO – World Health Organization.
- Medical Council of India.
- Pakistan Medical and Dental Council.
- Bangladesh Medical and Dental Council.
Ranking of Tashkent Medical Academy:
World Rank: 7691
Faculties of Tashkent Medical Academy:
Departments of Medical Faculty:
- Department of Pathological Anatomy
- Department of Propaedeutics of Internal Diseases
- Department of General and Pediatric Surgery
- Department of Faculty and Faculty Hospital Therapy N1
- Department of Faculty and Hospital Surgery N1
- Department of Children’s Diseases N1
- Department of Children’s Diseases N2
- Department of ENT and Stomatology
- Department of Neurology
- Department of Ophthalmology
- Department of Anaesthesiology and Reanimatology
- Department of Urology
- Department of Internal Diseases N2
- Department of Surgical Diseases
- Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology N2
Departments of Medical-Pedagogical Faculty
- Department of Normal and Pathological Physiology
- Department of Pedagogy and Psychology
- Department of Rehabilitation and Physical Education
- Department of Faculty and Hospital Therapy N2
- Department of Faculty and Hospital Surgery N2
- Department of Infectious Diseases
- Department of Phthisiology
- Department of Psychiatry
- Department of Oncology and Beam Diagnostics
- Department of Radiology
- Department of Clinical Pharmacology
- Department of Internal diseases N3
- Department of Traumatology, Orthopedics, Military field Surgery and Neurosurgery
Departments of Medical-Prophylactic Faculty
- Department of Histology and Medical Biology
- Department of Medical and Biological Chemistry
- Department of Informatics and Biophysics
- Department of Anatomy and Clinical Anatomy
- Department of Microbiology, Virology and Immunology
- Department of Pharmacology
- Department of Hematology, Transfusiology and Laboratory Affairs
- School of Public Health
- Department of Environmental Hygiene
- Department of Communal Hygiene and Occupational Health
- Department of Epidemiology
- Department of Hygiene of Children, Adolescents and Nutrition
- Departments of Higher Nursing Faculty
- Department of Social Sciences
- Department of Languages
- Department of Public Health, Organization and Management of Public Health
- Department of Forensic Medicine
- Department of Nursing
- Departments of Professional Training Faculty
- Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology N1
- Department of Dermatovenereology
- Department of Traumatology, orthopedia and military surgery №1
- Department of Internal Diseases N1
- Department of Retraining and Advanced Training of the General Practitioner of TMA